We must invest in our public schools to provide students, teachers, and parents with the programs, resources, and tools they need to succeed. Too many of our residents can’t afford higher education or technical training. I will seek solutions at the state level to help relieve student debt for local residents. In addition, my efforts will be focused on the following important areas:
- Kirwan Blueprint for Maryland’s Future: Push for the short-term and ongoing implementation of this program to help set up diversity, equity, and inclusion programs.
- Expanding minority teacher hiring and raise teacher salaries to attract and retain highly qualified teachers.
- Ensuring equity in access to higher-level academic courses for all public high school students.
- Creating universal pre-kindergarten funding for all three and four-year-old children.
- Expanding low-cost Internet access to rural, ALICE, and other marginalized communities.
- Establishing free or low-cost college tuition for in-state students at public universities, community colleges, and vocational schools.
- Supporting the Maryland Community College Promise Scholarship program.
- Supporting the expanded funding for career technical training for high school students, making the programs accessible to more students.
- Advocating for hiring social workers, psychologists, counselors, and behavioral specialists in lieu of armed police officers in our schools.